Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ramblings of a tired missionary!

We just returned from Senchi and it is almost five o'clock. With missionaries serving so far from the city, the only way they can get their mail, on a somewhat regular basis, is when we bring it to them. We also take reimbursement to them for their power or water, and sometimes supplies. We have sixteen missionaries that we are able to help at various times in those ways mention. Today we waited in Akuse for an hour as the Elders were returning from where they attend Church in Asutsuare. The trotro mode of transportation is both a blessing and a curse here in Ghana. Oh well, we spent the time watching cows grazing right next to where we were parked, and made friends with two little children watching us with interest.

There has been a water problem throughout the city and the water that flows to fill our poly tank has been shut off. The missionaries who live by us had to borrow water from us as there are four of them with only a small poly tank. This problem has never happened in our area before but it happens in many of the places that our missionaries live. The way to receive water in these circumstances, is to have a water truck come and fill up the poly tanks. A water truck deliverer was contacted and he quoted the missionaries 2,000 Ghana cedis to fill both poly tanks.Wow! This is an example of someone really trying to take advantage of those in hard times. Well we did not give him any business and kept searching until we found someone else, but we still had to pay 150 cedis ,which is a little high, but was gratefully paid. We were able to fill water containers for the others who live in the apartment compound as we pay for the whole truck whether we receive all the water or not. We will need to keep track of our missionaries until water flows and hopefully it does sometime this week. Oh the adventures!

We often have geckos (lizards) that visit our apartment quite uninvited. They are usually small and a few times we have made good use of a broom in their capture. One morning this past week, I was getting ready when one of them ran right up the wall in from of me and startled me good. The first thought that came to me is "where are my grandsons when I need them."

My companion spent Saturday morning with the youth and some newly baptized members doing baptisms for the dead. I hope they realize what a great privilege this is to have a Temple so close to them. Here in West Africa, some countries travel great distances to come to the Temple here in Accra, and at a great expense. It felt good for me to stay at the apartment and do some washing and cooking and not feel rushed to get a million things done.

On the way to Senchi this morning, before we were yet out of the city, we were approaching a red light at a pedestrian lane. The car to the left of us kept going through the red light and instantly realized what they had done and stopped suddenly and waited until the rest of the traffic started to move indicating the light had turned green. We had a good laugh over that. We also had a heart-stopping experience when a man on a bicycle darted out in front of us and we really had to slam on the brakes to miss him. Whew!

The second counselor in the Senchi Branch Presidency (Elder Avery) asked me to speak in Sacrament Meeting today. I spoke of my reverence for the Sabbath Day and what I expect of myself in preparing to worship and partake of the Sacrament. I even sang a couple of phrases of 'Welcome, welcome Sabbath Morning' which always come to my mind each Sunday morning. Through my experience of teaching the children I have come to learn to speak slowly, not use a lot of words in teaching, and actually pronounce vowels differently than I normally would. I thought that in talking this way today that they would understand me okay. Part way through my talk, as I glanced around the congregation, I saw Brother and Sister Doglow. They have grandchildren in primary and recently lost their son, the father of these children. Brother Doglow is blind and neither one of them speak English. I felt I should ask Sister Adjei to come and interpret for me which she did. I felt the Spirit and I feel others did also. I found out later that Sister Doglow, as Elder Avery shook her hand this morning, greeted him with "good morning" (in English) with a grin that spread from ear to ear. Moments like this make everything all worthwhile. I am so grateful that the Lord has let me experience them all.

With love,
Sister Avery (mom,grandma)







1 comment:

Chad said...

I haven't had an opportunity to read this blog entry until today—3/5/14. Brenda is at Mutual and I'm obviously home alone. I've been reading in the Ensign and Joseph Fielding Smith manual preparing for my lesson on Sunday. I was already feeling the Spirit, but I felt it in abundance as I read your post here. What you wrote was so peaceful and inviting and filled with the Spirit. You must've been in a really good place spiritually when you wrote it. Thank you! I loved every word of it.