Sunday, January 27, 2013

Trip to Ada Foah

 We decided to join a group of missionary couples and go on a site-seeing trip. The history behind this area is very interesting and if you have time you could go to the internet and type in the name Ada Foah to read about it. The picture above is at a Radio station where we were allowed to use the restroom. This children were hoping we would buy some tomatoes but still let us take their picture. They start very young here being able to carry on their heads.


  


 This picture above is of the people of Ada and their homes. They depend on this river for fishing, to wash their clothes and themselves, and anything else they need water for. We saw many of them, of all ages, doing their bathing and the young men probably felt some intrusion on their privacy. The younger children seem to care less and were cleaning barnacles off the bottom of the boats without a stitch of clothing on, which makes sense when you think about it. Even in this beautiful, peaceful setting, I saw beautiful homes right close to the grass huts. There were even some people on a jet ski and several very nice boats. I guess there will always be the rich and the poor, but I dare say that this humble people are happier than those who have more.
 This is a Slave Castle that was built at the end of the 19th century when the British Colonial Rule was imposed and Ada became a major market for the slave trade. It is a solemn place and the feelings of what took place there brings tears.
 This is the Atlantic Ocean, I believe, and was beautiful and peaceful to watch.
 I did not get a chance to ask someone in the group how this is ant hill is made, but there were many of them. The villagers use the "dirt" from this to make the walls of their homes as it has a substance from the ants that makes it very solid and durable. I will have to find out more.

On the way home we traveled in a rain storm that can put so much water down, that driving in was challenging. It was refreshing this morning as it always is after a good rain, even in Ghana. It was especially nice because it was so wet, people could not burn their garbage. Some of the people can afford to have garbage picked up, but others just burn it and it can be quite unpleasant in the evenings and mornings.

Every Sunday morning at 6 am, there is a group of young men that go down our street playing a drum as they jog and do what I would call a chant type of singing. I can still hear them in the distance, as they probably go to other streets throughout our area.
 

The picture below is in an area that we go shopping, but not usually so late in the day. If you look close, you can see there are many black specks in the sky. Those are bats and there are probably thousands of them. It was an interesting sight to see.

This is the picture I have been wanting to put on my blog for awhile now. Our grandson, Davin, sent us this at Christmas time and I wanted him to see it on our bulletin board. We would love to put more pictures on our board, so maybe others will do the same.

This past week was a very full week and yet very uplifting. Elder Scott Grow, First Quorum of the Seventy, was here for three days on a tour of our mission. He spent those days in the various areas instructing the missionaries and we were able to attend one when it was in our area. The main thing I want to share about that,was the emphasis there is going to be on the missionaries working with the less active to bring them back. President Monson's emphasis on Rescuing those that are lost is of the greatest importance. Elder Grow shared an experience that Elder Jeffery Holland shared that he has not shared before. Elder Holland's father was not active in the gospel and enjoyed his cigarettes and coffee. The Elders Quorum president and the Sunday School president came to visit him and call him to be the teacher of his son's class in church. As he looked over at his young son, who was very dear to his heart, he walked over to the fireplace and, taking the pack of cigarettes from his pocket, threw it into the fire. This was the beginning of his return. This is what the emphasis is going to be with missionaries and I pray with all my heart that we do as President Monson has asked.

I had a young woman in the ward we are attending come up to me after Sacrament Meeting and ask me to teach her the piano. I know this wont be easy with my schedule and all, but I feel that I need to make the effort. I have been impressed with this young woman as I have heard her testimony several times. There needs to be more that can play for the meetings here and everywhere. I hope my grandchildren realize the importance of this in their own lives and pray for the opportunities for them to continue to learn.

May each of you feel the love our Heavenly Father and Savior have for you. I certainly feel their love, and could not do this work without knowing that.

With love,
Sister Avery


1 comment:

Chad said...

Beautiful message and pictures, Sister Avery. Thanks for sharing. I love feeling the Spirit, and I felt it strongly as I read what you had to say. By the way, Elder Holland shared that about his own father when he was here and addressed the priesthood brethren before the general session of stake conference. It is so impressive to hear examples like this. I'm sure proud of you guys.