Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hot and Humid!

I truly think I would enjoy some of the snow and cold that family is having back home. Once in awhile we have a 'little' coolness, which give us a break, but not for very long. Family has expressed that they would like some of the warmth at least, but I don't recommend the humidity.

It was a more peaceful week and I was able to use a day calling missionaries on referrals. I could get more done on them if the missionaries would only report back better and save me all the calling. I had my first missionary recommendation for the June transfer and I am sure that there will be more to come. We also had Elder & Sister Lyon stay two days with us while their truck was getting fixed. They serve in Ho as member/leadership support missionaries and sadly, will be going home 23rd April. In the evenings, we played skipbo and visited, which livened us up some as we are usually so tired after a long day sitting at computers. We also attended the Temple Friday night, so it was a good week.

This next week is going to be quite different but good. Elder Grow arrived yesterday and is meeting with the Zone Leaders tonight. Monday he will be in Koforidua with the missionaries in that area. Tuesday he will be in our area so we will be able to attend that meeting. Wednesday he will be in Kaneshie meeting with the missionaries in that area. I think having a General Authority come to instruct us is a wonderful thing and I so appreciate the sacrifice of his time and energy in serving us here in West Africa. Thursday we will have eight new missionaries arrive from the MTC in Tema; six are from the USA, one from Sierra Leone, and one from Australia. Elder Benans will be flying home to South Africa after having served faithfully for two years. This carries on into the next week with three missionaries going home. Elder Malley's parents are coming to meet him and see this unique land. They are bringing much for us in their suitcases as we need good quality bike light batteries, and other items for the mission. They are also bringing Elder Smith's international drivers permit that I had my first experience arranging for. He is an Office Elder and needs to be able to drive as they get the mail, take things to the missionaries, and much more.

Between shopping for groceries, cleaning the apartment, and doing our laundry, I took some time Saturday and started cleaning out years of collected "stuff" in some cabinets here in the office. President Judd gave permission to do so, as I really do better working in an environment where there is not a lot of clutter. I definitely need to do something about this bulletin board that I look at every day above my computer. I am not too creative that way but will try when I have some time.

I want to close with a couple of quotes that, even though I have heard them before, they reminded me of what the gospel is all about and so pertains to this missionary experience.
"When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power." President Ezra Taft Benson
"A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation." Prophet Joseph Smith

With love,
Sister Avery

No comments: