Sunday, March 3, 2013

Trip to Tsito

One of this days I will put the pictures in the right places so I can write about each one individually. I think that will take being smarter than the computer, and as much as I am learning, I am obviously not there yet.

On Monday we went with Elder and Sister Lyon, Elder and Sister Scoville, and Elder Dalton (Sister Dalton had sprained her ankle the night before) to Tsito to help set up the portable baptismal font and to get the Church ready for opening the Branch there. The second picture shows the font and the happy members who are so excited to have their own Branch. We also helped take all the shipping wrap off the chairs and the last picture is my try at using a "broom" to sweep up the trash. It was a great experience being with these good people and the pride they were taking in their building. The men and women were trying to decide which room should be for the Relief Society and for the Priesthood to meet. I happened by the room that they both were wanting and said that I think it should be for the Relief Society and the women were happy that I said so, but the men were not. I am not sure who actually won but I am sure they will be happy no matter who goes where. President Judd dedicated the building and set the Branch Presidency apart today and I would have loved to have been there.

The rest of the afternoon was spend driving across the bridge (I wished I had taken a picture) over the Volta River and on to a restaurant/hotel to have some lunch.  It was a beautiful drive and felt so good to be out of the city for a change. The drive up to the hotel reminded me of Michigan with all of the thick trees and bushes. It was so wonderful to not see garbage everywhere, as that is what we see a lot of in the populated areas. The only way the day could have been better was if we could have stayed longer and taken a tour in the textile factory and the place where they make beads for jewelry.

We had an interesting but good day with the Senchi Branch members. I was able to play the keyboard as was planned and even though there were not as many there as last week, the testimonies were sincere even if they were mostly given in the language Ewe (pronounced A-way). These is  the challenge with the people in the semi-bush and bush areas, they are slow to change the traditions that hold them back from their full potential. I was bombarded by the young woman to come to their Sunday School class so I did for that time and then I went to the Primary the rest of the time. The Primary President, Sister Elizabeth Owusu, was the only leader there and doesn't feel confident with the music part, so I helped with that. I also had taken paper and crayons and the children were delighted to draw and color. There is a lot of growth that needs to come in the teaching methods as it is all about rote repetition and memorization and no gospel application in the process. I guess that is how they are taught in school. I don't know my history very well, but it sounds like the British influence during the late 1800's is the type of teaching that they do here. It is more the concept of being acted upon rather that acting. Anyway it will be a challenge, but with patience, love, and, lots of prayer, we hope for more spiritual learning. We were able to see Baboons again and sure we will every Sunday, and we even saw some on the way home, which is unusual in the afternoon.

Well it has been a long day and we have apartment inspections tomorrow so sweet dreams for me and the rest of you, enjoy your Sabbath afternoon.

With love,
Sister Avery (Mom, & Grandma)

1 comment:

Chad said...

Loved the pictures and the things you had to share about the new branch where you are now serving on Sundays. It really helps me appreciate just how nice it is to have a well organized ward, etc.. That baptismal font is cool! Great blog message. I so enjoy reading them.